Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Boys Are Back in Town


After a short stint abroad, Sauti Sol flew into town triumphant and bearing a near sacred follow up album. Here's my two-cents on the hullaballoo.

A good friend of mine gave me this album recently. Of course Sauti Sol's forst album 'Mwanzo' was one of my favourite last year so I was eager to have a listen which in my book means playing the same song over and over again. I made a very technical appearance at their album launch a couple of weeks ago (very loud, very crowded, lots of pretty people) and I noticed the even was touted as the launch of their sophomore album which for we non-american folk simply means it's their second album. They sound pretty good live, and are furiously energetic.

So the question is have the Fab Four matured since 2008's Mwanzo? The short answer is yes, the themes have gotten somewhat more serious take for example 'Mbinguni' the album's first track. Of coures there are the mellow love ballads like 'Coming Home' that echo their previous work and the insanely catchy 'Soma Kijana'. My personal favourite and is 'Awinja' an instrument sparse but vocally stunning piece that allows we, the listener to busk in their subliminal arrangement and depth. The song is melancholic and heartbreaking beautiful. The album's title however may tad over the top, but aren't all boy bands?

So, Sauti Sol offers little gems of life, love and loss - a veritable soundtrack to life.

VERDICT: GET IT NOW!!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Copyright © Man and Boy
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes Design by Diovo.com