Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Good God Y'All!


After consistent tardiness from church I decided to spend Sunday afternoon doing a few minor chores and trawling through my iTunes library. Under gospel I came across this little gem - 2009s "What Have You Done My Brother?" by Naomi Shelton & The Gospel Queens. This lovely mix of old school blues/ gospel had me nearly in tears with it's mournful lyrics of struggle and sorrow - like any good blues album it spoke of wisdom that came only through immense suffering while all the while letting us know (in the most reassuring maternal way) that there is a bright light ahead -  the authentic Negro Spiritual!

Favourite songs are 'I'll Take the Long Road', 'By Your Side' and a melancholic rendition of 'A Change is Gonna Come' a spiritual made famous by Sam Cooke and Otis Redding.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Copyright © Man and Boy
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes Design by Diovo.com