Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Stingo

Well it's been a while since I last blogged. Apologies to all 4 of my followers. I came across this fairly artistic and experimental web magazine called Stingo. Jim Chuchu collaborates and is the one who takes all the lovely photos. I have come to understand that Jim is perhaps Kenya's premier graphic arts guru. He's also one third of Just a Band (the one who makes the cool videos).

Incidentally I'm personally acquainted with a member of the crew and a couple of models. I now feel both jealous/ inferior and immensely proud of these talented youth.

Here's the link: http://www.thestingo.com/

And the clothes aren't bad either. Some of it is locally produced. I say BUY BUY BUY!

In other news, Tamaku cut me to the chase when he published this. I read the article only, partly shocked, partly amused and partly well angry. Whilst reading it I got that disconcerting feeling one gets when reading yellow journalism like say The Standard and for a long time I did think I was reading The Standard - but I wasn't.

Like many Kenyans I tend to trust the relative subjectivity (and solemnity) of The Nation and equate this to The Truth. Things however, have changed and for the worst. Tamaku made a fairly exhaustive analysis with the article's intrinsic wrongness with his trademark half ironic, half wry sense of justice and for that we thank God for people like him. Dorothy Kweyu and her ilk are a dying breed maybe she needs to read Stingo to realise this. Times are changing and the youth of tomorrow, lesbian or otherwise are finding thier voice - and it's filled with colour!

More disturbing still is the method of behavioral correction employed by these religious therapists. In the West at least, homosexuality is not a mental disorder and can threfrore not be treated clinically. The Church seems to think otherwise. Dark time for Kenya's minority groups? Or does our shiny new constitution offer refuge? The future is most certainly uncertain but if there irs one thing the minorities are not is silent.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Copyright © Man and Boy
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes Design by Diovo.com